ATMs are a fast and easy way to withdraw cash, check account balances, transfer funds and more.
However, it is important for you to remember that your personal safety while conducting transactions at an ATM depends largely on the safety steps you follow. You can improve your ATM security by following the tips below each time you conduct an ATM transaction.
General ATM Safety Tips
- Be picky about which ATMs you use.
- Use an ATM located in a well-lit area and publicly visible.
- Be alert to your surroundings.
- Check for anything on the ATM that looks different or out of place.
- Tug on the card reader before inserting your card and if it feels loose, don’t use it.
- Trust your instincts and never use an ATM if you have an uneasy feeling.
- Cover your hand when entering your PIN.
- Take your receipt if you choose to have one printed.
- Make sure your session has ended and you are in possession of your card before leaving.
- Wait until you leave the vicinity of the ATM to count your money.
- Alert Eastman Credit Union if you notice any of these conditions.
Security Tips for Walk-Up ATMs
- When possible, take a companion along when using an ATM – especially at night.
- Stand between the ATM and anyone waiting to use the terminal so that others cannot see your PIN or transaction amount.
Security Tips for Drive-up ATMs
- Pull up close to the ATM.
- Remain in your car while conducting your ATM transaction.
- Keep your engine running, the doors locked and the windows rolled up at all times before and after conducting your transaction.
- When possible, leave enough room between cars to allow for a quick exit should it become necessary.
- Before rolling down the window to use the ATM, check the entire area for anything or anyone suspicious.