Revised Dated: May 2023
Online Privacy Notice
This Online Privacy Notice (“Notice”) describes the type of information collected by and through websites, mobile applications, and other online interfaces or platforms (“Online Services”) that are owned, operated, or controlled by Eastman Credit Union (“ECU”) and how that information may be used and shared. By accessing or using any Online Service, you consent to the terms of this Notice as may be in effect at that time. This Notice supplements, but does not replace, the general Privacy Notice.
Types of Information We Collect
Personal information collected through ECU’s Online Services includes information you provide directly when completing forms or transacting with us, such as your name, home address, email address, telephone number(s), your social security number, account number(s) or transaction information. ECU also collects information that you do not provide directly, such as information about your device and contained on your device for identity verification, fraud monitoring and prevention, security purposes, to allow you to use features in our Online Services and online behavioral patterns for marketing initiatives.
How We Collect, Use and Share Personal Information You Provide to Us
ECU collects personal information when you use our Online Services to apply for, obtain, or use our products and services, to make inquiries about our products and services, or to provide information and feedback about our products and services.
ECU uses the information discussed above in a number of ways, such as:
- Processing applications and transactions;
- Verifying identity and location (such as when you access your account information);
- Preventing fraud and enhancing the security of your account and our Online Services
- Responding to requests and communicating with you;
- Managing your preferences;
- Operating, evaluating and improving our business (including developing new products and services; improving existing products and services; performing data analytics, and performing other internal functions);
- Complying with and enforcing applicable legal requirements, industry standards, contractual obligations and our policies;
- Allowing you to participate in surveys, contests and similar promotions;
- Allowing you to use features within our Online Services when you grant us or a Third Party access to personal information from your device, such as contact lists, microphone, camera, or geo-location.
ECU may share the information we may collect with our affiliates, service providers, and other third parties as permitted by law and as described in our general Privacy Notice. ECU will not sell your information.
ECU’s mobile application collects, transmits, and uses geolocation information to enable features used for fraud monitoring and prevention and to send alerts, also to locate the nearest branch and/or ATM. Geolocation information is monitored on a continuous basis in the background, while the application is being used, or not at all, depending on your selection. You can change their location permissions at any time in the device settings.
Understanding Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Tracking Technologies
- “Cookies” are small amounts of data a website can send to a visitor’s web browser. They are often stored on the device you are using to help track your areas of interest. Cookies may also enable ECU and our service providers to share your use of our Online Services over time to customize your experience. Most web browsers allow you to adjust your browser settings to decline or delete cookies, but doing so may lessen your experience with ECU’s Online Services.
- Clear GIFs, pixel tags or web beacons, which are typically one-pixel, transparent images located on a webpage or in an email or other message – or similar technologies may be used on ECU’s sites and in some of our digital communications (such as email or other marketing messages). They may also be used when you are served advertisements or you otherwise interact with advertisements outside of our Online Services. These are principally used to help recognize users, assess traffic patterns and measure site or campaign engagement.
Cookies and Advertising
ECU uses similar technologies, such as web beacons, log files and tags, alone or in conjunction with cookies, to collect statistics on your browsing patterns and overall activity on our website, including how often a particular web page is visited. We may also use web beacons in an email communication sent to you to determine whether you clicked on a link in the email that directs you to our website. In order to deploy this technology and gather the information, we work with third parties to track usage across webpages and email messages. These technologies allow us to improve your experience when visiting or using our websites, including providing content that may be of specific interest to you or send you promotional material, such as emails tailored to your interests. This practice is known as online behavior advertising.
ECU does not knowingly solicit data through our Online Services from children under the age of 13 and does not knowingly market through our Online Services to such children. ECU complies with the requirements of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) that are applicable to us.
ECU uses reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to protect and limit access to personal information. Please note that information you send to us electronically may not be secure when transmitted. ECU recommends that you do not use unsecure channels to communicate sensitive or confidential information.
In the event ECU shares information with third party services providers, we restrict the ability of such parties to use or disclose the information we furnish. ECU also requires such parties to apply appropriate security measures to protect information.
Retention of Information
ECU retains your information for as long as needed: (i) to conduct business with you; (ii) as needed for the purposes outlined in this Notice; or (iii) to comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce agreements.
Links to Other Websites
Changes to this Notice
ECU may amend this Notice in its discretion. Any changes or amendments made will be effective when posted on the Online Services, unless we expressly provide a different effective date. You acknowledge and agree that any changes made are binding on you as of the effective date and your use of the Online Services constitutes your affirmative consent to such changes.